[microformats-discuss] xFolk 0.4

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Sun Jul 10 23:56:20 PDT 2005

Excellent discussion guys, I think we're making some great progress.

On 7/10/05 9:33 PM, "Eran" <limbo at speakeasy.net> wrote:

>> Let's forestall a decision on taggedlink for now.  I see your
>> argument, but I have to weigh it in light of changing the
>> standard or
>> adding an alias.  That complicates parsing, and others are just
>> accepting taggedlink.  I still do like the idea of
>> reinforcing we are
>> talking about something linked to from the page.
>
> No problem. I know how hard it is to change a format that's already in
> use.

Consider that it's even harder to change it later.

Also, as part of the microformats method is to try something, try some
implementation and then *iterate*, that means we explicitly should not, and
more to the point, in order to iterate, CANNOT use the reason of "already in
use" as an excuse to avoid change.

If you're going to go for rapid design and implementation, you have to also
embrace the flexibility of change after implementation.

Otherwise you doom yourself rapid design which is then locked into place
prematurely.

In otherwords, evolution is more important than backwards compatibility with
a few hours of work.  Let's not forget that.

This also means that microformat spec authors MUST be up front about the
iterative and evolutionary nature of this process, and thus we have the
wording about a "work in progress" on the various microformat specs that are
still be iterated on, *including* xFolk.

Thanks,

Tantek