[microformats-discuss] Discovery of microformats

Joshua Porter porter at bokardo.com
Tue Jul 12 14:12:24 PDT 2005

Is it fair to say that microformats are no further along in auto-
discovery than are standalone XML formats?

I ask because I'm confused about the "support" of microformats. I
understand that microformats are "supported" by browsers in the sense
that browsers read them as XHTML. But that's not really doing
anything with the semantics we've added to our markup. (we might as
well be writing in any arbitrary format).

Taken further, it seems to me that for anything to be done with
microformats, our UAs will need to be updated in some fashion.  Of
course, Technorati is supporting some of them already....but we don't
want something that will be supported by only one vendor...and
presumably Technorati would support another XML format, too.

Thus, microformats, to me, sound like just as much work as would be a
separate format (like RSS). Indeed, many of the microformats are
based on living formats written in plaintext or xml. So some are
already developed...like iCal, xCal, and OPML.

Therefore, I wonder if there are some applications for which a
separate format are better suited, and presumably some applications
for which microformats are better suited.  Does anybody have a take
on this?

However, I'm hearing this push about microformats...which is all well
and good...but I don't know, as a developer, where I should *spend my
time*.

A possible issue to address would be: should I provide OPML or XOXO?

josh