[microformats-discuss] microformats for various types of media?

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Wed Jul 13 11:31:29 PDT 2005

On Jul 13, 2005, at 10:43 AM, Dougal Campbell wrote:
> Now for something a little more frivolous. Is anyone else
> interested in a microformat for marking up information about music
> tracks?

Yes. Not frivolous. I think there's been some brainstorming on this
already: http://microformats.org/wiki/media-metadata-examples

I know Kevin Marks is really interested in this.

> I'm sure there's plenty of prior-art formats to borrow from (the
> iTunes library export XML comes to mind, as does the ID3 tagging
> info itself). But, where to start?

Start with the above wiki page and add other examples of widely used
prior-art.

> What's required and optional? How to handle album information for
> "various artists" collections consistently?

Good questions.

> On a related note, microformats for books and movies would also be
> interesting. A site like All Consuming would be able to aggregate
> this type of data in interesting ways.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. What data about the book or movie?

> Is this a dumb application for a microformat, or should I plow ahead?

Where there's data on the web, there's room for discussion of a
microformat.

I assume you've read http://microformats.org/wiki/process - it should
(hopefully) give you an idea of the general process involved in
developing a microformat.

-ryan