[microformats-discuss] microformats for various types of media?

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Wed Jul 13 12:59:39 PDT 2005

On 7/13/05 10:43 AM, "Dougal Campbell" <dougal at gunters.org> wrote:

> Now for something a little more frivolous. Is anyone else interested in
> a microformat for marking up information about music tracks?

Not frivolous at all.

> I'm sure there's plenty of prior-art formats to borrow from (the iTunes
> library export XML comes to mind, as does the ID3 tagging info itself).

Absolutely.  Some folks have already started capturing this:

 http://microformats.org/wiki/media-metadata-examples

And not only is there prior art, but you have at least two domain experts on
this mailing list:

 Kevin Marks - QuickTime background, podcasting innovator, etc.
 Lucas Gonze - XSPF lead

(guys please feel free to correct my imprecise characterizations)
(and any other domain experts, consider this your invite to speak up)

 http://microformats.org/wiki/process

> What's required and optional?

start as simple as possible

> How to handle album
> information for "various artists" collections consistently?

How do people publish that information today on the web?

E.g. How does Amazon publish it?  How do bloggers publish it?

> On a related note, microformats for books and movies would also be
> interesting. A site like All Consuming would be able to aggregate this
> type of data in interesting ways.
>
> Is this a dumb application for a microformat, or should I plow ahead?

Not dumb at all.

See above.  Check the process page for some useful first steps.

Go through the media-metadata-examples document.

Perhaps even check out the IRC channel.  I know Kevin is on there a whole
bunch.  Sometimes IRC works better than email to brainstorm a bunch of stuff
quickly.

Thanks,

Tantek