[microformats-discuss] URIs please!

brian suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 05:00:03 PDT 2005

Carl Beeth wrote:

>>nor would we be
>>able to do auto-discovery via the profile="...".
>>

>Again sorry if this is a stupid question but what do we mean with
>auto-discovery?

My description of Auto-Discovery (which might not be the right
description) would be a way for the UA (User-Agent) or plug-in to
automatically display something to the user saying this page is encoded
with a microformat. Safari (and i think Firefox with a plugin) does this
with RSS. If you have something like <link rel="rss"
href="link.to/feed.rss"/> Safari will add a small blue RSS icon in the
title bar. There is a GeoURL plug-in for Mozilla so when you surf to a
page that is GeoURL encoded it displays a small globe in the lower
right-hand corner which links to GeoURL.org with their lat/lon. With
hCa* the auto-discovery would show a small vCard icon, or calendar icon
letting the user know if they click this it will scrap the page and add
the data to their PIM.

Ofcourse, auto-discovery is NOT just icons and pictures, it can be used
by other programs as well. NewsNetWire can use this to fetch RSS feeds
without an actual link to the rss file, only to the homepage. Imagine
using iCal and subscribing just to http://microformats.org, then the
iCal will fetch and parse the HTML code, 'auto-discover' the iCal link
and use that to sync with instead of the homepage link.

If someone is thinking auto-discovery is something different please give
your thoughts.

-brian