[microformats-discuss] URIs please!

Andy Skelton skeltoac at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 06:24:15 PDT 2005

> On Jul 15, 2005, at 8:00 AM, brian suda wrote:
> > If someone is thinking auto-discovery is something different please
> > give your thoughts.
> >
> > -brian

I imagine browsing somewhere and seeing a Contact page. If they list
five people with emails, snail mails, phones, faxes, etc., those can
all be imbedded microformats and visible at the same time. I want my
browser to let me handle the data in these microformats without
leaving the page in which they are imbedded.

Autodiscovery might be done by a browser plugin that exposes several
options via a mouseover menu (like IE's Image Toolbar), a transparent
icon over the microformat in context, a Microformats toolbar, you name
it. Same goes for other apps such as email clients, RSS readers, PDF
renderers, on and on.

So when I visit this contact page, I become aware of the hCards and I
know that with a click or a gesture I can compose email, add to
address book, print an envelope, send money via PayPal, etc. Maybe I
have an option to automatically add any encountered hCards to a
special category in my address book for later review. This is my idea
of autodiscovery: behaviors or controls being automatically exposed
when the UA encounters a supported microformat.

Andy Skelton
http://www.skeltoac.com