[microformats-discuss] URIs please!

Carl Beeth carl.beeth at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 07:16:37 PDT 2005

On 7/15/05, Andy Skelton <skeltoac at gmail.com> wrote:

> So when I visit this contact page, I become aware of the hCards and I
> know that with a click or a gesture I can compose email, add to
> address book, print an envelope, send money via PayPal, etc. Maybe I
> have an option to automatically add any encountered hCards to a
> special category in my address book for later review. This is my idea
> of autodiscovery: behaviors or controls being automatically exposed
> when the UA encounters a supported microformat.

I still fail to see how the profile helps me do this. I still need to
parse the content of the hcard to decide if I can send an email to it.
it might be a hcard without an email.

As I see it the only thing the profile is good for is to make the
class="vcard" unambiguous.

To have to shove a profile declaration into the header for every type
of microformat that might be in use in the page seems overly
complicated to me. If ambiguity is the only issue there must be a more
elegant way to deal with it. I still think one super declaration
should do it, sort of this page contains microformats be aware that
some classes have meaning.