[microformats-discuss] reblogging needs proper citation, source attribution, as does localization/translation

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Fri Jul 15 13:43:41 PDT 2005

On Jul 14, 2005, at 7:06 PM, Andreas Haugstrup wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 23:38:13 +0200, Eran <limbo at speakeasy.net> wrote:
>> I've been thinking about a similar scenario lately. We're somewhat
>> stuck
>> with regards to copyright and license information. Wide adoption of
>> rel=License would definitely be a big help in this case.
>
> My problem is that I can't accurately describe licenses with rel
> license. rel license applies to the page as a whole,

Maybe we need to iterate the spec so that it can refer to parts of a
page, much the way the other "rel-" elemental microformats do.

> but that doesn't work good for sharing. Often my own words are
> under one license, while I loan illustrations from others (under
> another license). I would prefer supplying license information as
> an HTTP header (ala pingbacks) rather than having it in the HTML.

I would stay away from a solution that requires special HTTP headers,
it seems needlessly complex. Plus, you're probably going to want to
put some (probably human readable) in the HTML, anyways, so why don't
you just make that structured?

-ryan