[microformats-discuss] Microformats and the Semantic Web

Carl Beeth carl.beeth at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 08:57:25 PDT 2005

> Q: In what way do Microformats help advance the idea of the Semantic
> Web, or do they at all?

I think it will help more than the Semantic Web crowd realizes.
Microformats offers us a way to start authoring semantically without
banging our head too hard against the table and with almost immediate
ROI. Once our CMS systems are in place and the content is stored
semantically we can easily add RDF to our templates.

A good example is RSS1.0. I think if someone found a compelling reason
why we should start outputting our RSS feeds in RDF today it is a
trivial template change. However if RSS1.0 would have been the first
flavor of RSS it would have slowed down adoption considerably because
of the added complexity.

Carl