[microformats-discuss] Ambiguities in reltag specification

Bud Gibson bud at thecommunityengine.com
Thu Jul 21 13:52:11 PDT 2005

Hi Craig:

Please stick with text (not html) on the list.  Let me see if I can
address some of these issues as I have wrestled with them recently:

>> How would spaces be supported in this case?   My assumption is
>> through replacing spaces with "+", but this is not explicitly stated.

Perhaps somewhat implicit in the spec is that you would use standard
URL encoding practices.  It is after all a URL.

>> URLs are not the most convenient encoding for non-English languages

And not always for English.  One of the motivations in the spec (per
my very limited understanding) is that the tag point at a specific
repository about items on that topic.  Making the tag be part of the
URL helps guarantee this.

At the aggregator level, making the tag explicitly part of the URL
also helps fight SPAM tagging since the tag is part of the pointer
(see next).

>> Their is no guarantee that the apparent tag (the one displayed to
>> the user) and the real tag are the same.  This defeats the peer
>> pressure that is intended.

The peer pressure comes at the aggregator level  Aggregators
aggregate links based on the value in the URL not the link text.
SPAM can then be reported if the tag is not accurate, and the
perpetrating site is also immediately ID'd.  At individual sites, you
are clearly in caveat emptor mode.

>> No guidance is given as to whether or not having different link
>> text and tag value is considered bad form.

For the most part, people make the two match.  The link text tends to
be a readable form of the tag.  Having spoken with the spec authors,
they indicate that not following this practice is also possible.  I'm
not sure what the use case is though.

>> Have these things been addressed and are just not mentioned in the
>> wiki or am I just not getting it?

Have you looked at the technorati or IceRocket help pages for tags?