[microformats-discuss] Ambiguities in reltag specification

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Thu Jul 21 14:16:36 PDT 2005

On Jul 21, 2005, at 1:52 PM, Bud Gibson wrote:
> Hi Craig:
>
> Please stick with text (not html) on the list.  Let me see if I can
> address some of these issues as I have wrestled with them recently:
>
>>> How would spaces be supported in this case?   My assumption is
>>> through replacing spaces with "+", but this is not explicitly
>>> stated.
>
> Perhaps somewhat implicit in the spec is that you would use
> standard URL encoding practices.  It is after all a URL.

Yes, spaces can be encoded with a %20, just like any other URL.

>>> URLs are not the most convenient encoding for non-English languages

I'm not sure what exactly the issue is here. If you take a look at
http://technorati.com/tags/?showall=1 you'll see that plenty of non-
english speakers use rel-tag. Please let us know what you have in
mind here.

> And not always for English.  One of the motivations in the spec
> (per my very limited understanding) is that the tag point at a
> specific repository about items on that topic.  Making the tag be
> part of the URL helps guarantee this.
>
> At the aggregator level, making the tag explicitly part of the URL
> also helps fight SPAM tagging since the tag is part of the pointer
> (see next).
>
>>> Their is no guarantee that the apparent tag (the one displayed to
>>> the user) and the real tag are the same.  This defeats the peer
>>> pressure that is intended.

Not really. You can still see the link onhover and if you click on
the link you'll see that it was not what the link-text indicated.

> The peer pressure comes at the aggregator level  Aggregators
> aggregate links based on the value in the URL not the link text.
> SPAM can then be reported if the tag is not accurate, and the
> perpetrating site is also immediately ID'd.  At individual sites,
> you are clearly in caveat emptor mode.
>
>>> No guidance is given as to whether or not having different link
>>> text and tag value is considered bad form.
>
> For the most part, people make the two match.

Yes, most people make this identical, esp. when doing a list of tags.

OTOH, when doing inline tags, it is often beneficial to give a
different text to the link (though usually synonymous). Look, for
example at http://cs.usfca.edu/~rking/resume.html where I use tags to
describe my skills. In several cases the text of the tag link is not
identical to the tag, but it is often synonymous (b/c that's the best
wikipedia page I could find).

>   The link text tends to be a readable form of the tag.  Having
> spoken with the spec authors, they indicate that not following this
> practice is also possible.

And is, at times, desirable.

>   I'm not sure what the use case is though.

See my resume example above.

>>> Have these things been addressed and are just not mentioned in
>>> the wiki or am I just not getting it?
>
> Have you looked at the technorati or IceRocket help pages for tags?

No need to look at both.

-ryan