[microformats-discuss] question regarding MF enclosing attributes

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Thu Jul 21 14:08:59 PDT 2005

On Jul 21, 2005, at 1:51 PM, Bud Gibson wrote:
> On Jul 21, 2005, at 16:36, Ryan King wrote:
>> Yes. It is a desirable practice, and has always been the plan. And
>> I thought we'd covered this issue already?
>
> Indeed, I knew it was an issue that was raised.  What was unclear
> to me was any decision about the mechanism that one would use.

<link rel="profile" ..>
<a rel="profile" ..>

>   Further, since other microformats (e.g., hCard) do not
> necessarily use this mechanism, it was unclear that it was one to
> strive for.

You mean "don't *yet* have a profile URL to reference." They use this
mechanism, there's just not a profile URL yet. Remember, XFN has an
almost *2 year* head start on the rest of the formats. That's like
2,000 years in Internet Time. :)

You have to remember that these formats are still very much in draft
stage and as such they can't be easily given profile URLs (because
you may need a new profile url for each revision of the spec .... and
some don't even have profiles yet!).

> Ryan, not trying to be difficult, just asking for a clarification.
> Lighten up.

This is me light. :)

>> Other microformats will have profile urls, but only once they are
>> solid enough to be standardized.
>>
>>> A very practical motivation for this question is that I am in the
>>> process of embedding xFolk in an RSS 2.0 feed and would like a
>>> compact representation to indicate the microformat is in use and
>>> where information about it can be found.
>>
>> As xFolk becomes a standard (ie, calsified), it will need to have
>> a profile URL.
>
> xfolk has a profile URL and has had one from the outset.  I'm now
> using the one on the wiki.  It has a version and everything.

Where is this?

-ryan