[microformats-discuss] International date formats

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Tue Jul 26 09:02:27 PDT 2005

On 7/26/05 3:44 AM, "Sam Deane" <lists at elegantchaos.com> wrote:

> On 26 Jul 2005, at 09:31, Tantek Çelik wrote:
>
>> I'd just like to see this argument pushed up stream, because I
>> think it has
>> a decent chance, and would benefit many others.
>
> Talking about pushing things up stream, it seems to me that a date is
> such a fundamental thing, and the display of it as text is so
> location (and user-preference) specific, that there really ought to
> be a standard way of representing it in HTML/XHTML which _requires_
> the browser to render the date in the user's local format.

Indeed.  I tried.

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/2003Oct/0089.html

But even if XHTML2 did include a <time> element, it would be years (many
years) before we could reliably use it and depend on it.

> One shouldn't need to resort to javascript and tool tips!

Why not? (or rather, why do you consider it "resort"ing?)  As long as the
markup is valid, there is something to be said for going with a simple
solution that works.  There is nothing inherently wrong with javascript and
tool tips.

Thanks,

Tantek