[microformats-discuss] another personal intro

Sam Deane lists at elegantchaos.com
Tue Jul 26 17:16:32 PDT 2005

Sorry, hadn't realised that I was supposed to introduce myself
(having now realised, I was tempted to send my personal intro as some
xml in cod hCard format, but my fatigue overcame my natural
enthusiasm for a cheap joke).

I worked with Kevin Marks many moons ago in England. Since then I've
worked writing multimedia applications at recording studios (Real
World and Abbey Road), writing shareware, porting PC games to the Mac
and then having them released by the publisher before they are ready,
and more latterly writing cross platform user interface and
foundation layers for original games (and then having them... blah
blah).

I resigned from my games job last October because I'd clearly been
working far too hard, for far too long, needed a break, and games
people don't really understand the idea of a sabbatical. Since then I
have been contracting, and catching up on all the interesting things
that I've been too busy to play with whilst immersed in the games
world. This party explains my presence on the list - the rest of the
explanation being simply that in my experience, if Kevin is
interested in something, it's probably interesting.

I am now, theoretically, a researcher working for a new learning
technology research lab, based in Dublin, about to write the next
great authoring environment to support user programming in the way
that Hypercard once did.

Unfortunately this will remain theoretical until I get a contract, so
technically I am still a freelancer, and available for weddings, bah-
mitzvahs, etc.

Key fact: my favourite programming language is Dylan.