[microformats-discuss] A 10 line script to identify and process any microformat

Mark Rickerby coretxt at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 21:31:19 PDT 2005

> > Thanks for the recommendation regarding script requests.  Aside
> > from some (in my opinion) minor corner cases, I agree that GM
> > cracks the identification issue nicely, and I would like to see
> > more people adopt the approaches shown in my script and Alf's more
> > developed examples (there's a great one here: http://
> > hublog.hubmed.org/files/hreviewextractor.user.js that does
> > essentially the same thing for hReview that Hotelling does for
> > hCard but with a lot less code devoted to identification).
>
> That script's a bit old and doesn't do the extra className checking
> that I recommended yesterday. Also it's a different approach to
> George Hotelling's script as it picks out the microformat fragment
> and works on that, rather than passing the whole page off to an
> external processor. What you end up with is just the raw XML, rather
> than a processed hCard -> ICS conversion. However...

One thing I noticed about George Hotelling's script is that although
the identification wasn't as optimized as the XPath approach, it
looked like it would be easier to make it compatible with Internet
Explorer (which doesn't support XPath). User scripts can be enabled in
IE using a plugin called Turnabout.

Regards,
Mark