[microformats-discuss] implementors instructions

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Mon Jun 27 18:11:58 PDT 2005

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005, Ryan King wrote:

> > > I see implementing and authoring as the same thing.
> >
> > Ah. So what do you call the act of creating software that consumes
> > microformats?
>
> Consuming?
>
> Maybe we need to lock down our terminology a bit?

In the Web specification world, the generally accepted terminology is:

   author - someone who uses a format while writing a page
   document - a page that uses a format
   authoring - writing a page using a format
   implementor - someone who writes an application that consumes a format
   implementing - writing an application that consumes a format
   implementation - an application that consumes a format
   user - someone who uses an application that consumes a format
   consuming - the act of running an implementation on a document