[uf-discuss] Formating Code

Robert Bachmann rbach at rbach.priv.at
Tue Nov 1 11:01:03 PST 2005

Edward O'Connor wrote:
>>Programming languages by definition have extremely well-defined
>>semantics, so it isn't necessary to mark up variables and so on in
>>blocks of code.
>

> I often mark up variables and so on, for syntax highlighting purposes.
> For instance:
>
> [Example snipped]

There are some tools which create modern HTML (i.e: HTML with <span
class="comment" instead of <font color=green>) listings of source code.

Two programs I'm aware of are GNU Source-highlight[1] and Highlight[2].
Looking at the class names they use for their generated listings and
documenting it on the background research pages of might be useful.

There are some sites which deal with code listings:
- http://koders.com/ - code search engine
- http://www.bytemycode.com/ - community code posting site

Looking at those when doing the background research might be beneficial.
We might even want to invite their operators to participate into this
discussion.

Thanks,
 Robert
--