[uf-discuss] tel scheme for hcard? - RFC 2806

Karl Dubost karl at w3.org
Thu Nov 10 15:09:19 PST 2005

Hi Brian,

Le 05-11-10 à 16:26, brian suda a écrit :
> There are several different protocols for telephony, TAPI is another
> possiblity.
>
> I think this is a good idea, but the parsing[1] page does not address
> this issue at the moment.

> class="value">+123.456.7890</span> <abbr class="type"
> title="cell">(mobile)</abbr></a>
>
> while you COULD extract the machine readable data from the href, hcard
> really wants the human readable format anyway. So what would be the
> reason for using the machine data?

Do you mean the benefit for the user of having an anchor?

click. :)
As I said just to launch the communication automatically by clicking
in the Web page.

I didn't know about tapi but it seems not to be in the IANA list.
[[[
tel   telephone [RFC2806]
fax   fax       [RFC2806]
modem modem     [RFC2806]
]]]
-- Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) SCHEMES
http://www.iana.org/assignments/uri-schemes
Thu, 03 Nov 2005 19:48:14 GMT

How to add support for "tel" to your desktop?

     * For Gnome, edit ~/.gnome/Gnome and add something to the URL
Handlers section.
         (Dan Connolly uses this to get galeon to launch
         telnum from [telagent sources][1] for tel URIs)

How to add support for "tel" to your browser?

     * In Mozilla, [Dizzy][2]
     * In Internet Explorer, [Asynchronous Pluggable Protocols][3]

[1]: http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2001/telagent/
[2]: http://dizzy.mozdev.org/
[3]: http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/networking/pluggable/overview/
overview.asp

On the CSS front… You could for example add automagically an icon. I
have put the property for those who wants to add it to their own
stylesheet in their browsers, so they know what type of links. It's
working for mail

a[href^="tel:"]:before {
     content: '\260f  ' !important;
     padding-left: 20px !important; }