[uf-discuss] Mandatory profiles and hAtom

Danny Ayers danny.ayers at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 02:45:52 PST 2005

On 11/11/05, David Janes -- BlogMatrix <davidjanes at blogmatrix.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have strong feelings either way making profiles mandatory
> for "hAtom" [1]?
>
> The reason I ask is then I could rename "atomfeed" -> "feed" and
> "atomentry" -> "entry" and I think that would feel a whole lot more
> natural. That is, I could rename them without having to worry that
> there'd be many blogs that _accidently_ looked like they were hAtom
> compliant but actually weren't.

At this point in time I think it would be a very good idea to mandate
profiles for all microformats, so we can stop scraping and start
parsing. I'd suggest following RFC 2119's "SHOULD".

As and when there is a mechanism for identifying profiles inline, that
should be reasonable as an alternative.

Cheers,
Danny.

--