[uf-discuss] Mandatory profiles and hAtom

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Fri Nov 11 03:16:39 PST 2005

On 11/11/05 2:45 AM, "Danny Ayers" <danny.ayers at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/11/05, David Janes -- BlogMatrix <davidjanes at blogmatrix.com> wrote:
>> Does anyone have strong feelings either way making profiles mandatory
>> for "hAtom" [1]?
>>
>> The reason I ask is then I could rename "atomfeed" -> "feed" and
>> "atomentry" -> "entry" and I think that would feel a whole lot more
>> natural. That is, I could rename them without having to worry that
>> there'd be many blogs that _accidently_ looked like they were hAtom
>> compliant but actually weren't.
>
> At this point in time I think it would be a very good idea to mandate
> profiles for all microformats, so we can stop scraping and start
> parsing. I'd suggest following RFC 2119's "SHOULD".

While I obviously agree with the goal of having profiles for all
microformats, I don't think they are necessary for us to continue making
progress in the short-term.

That being said, I personally am working on trying to both write down
missing/incomplete profiles, and publish them at permanent URLs.  I hope to
have some good news along that front in within the next few weeks.  Stay
tuned.

Thanks,

Tantek