[uf-discuss] Mandatory profiles and hAtom

Danny Ayers danny.ayers at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 10:01:29 PST 2005

On 11/11/05, Tantek Çelik <tantek at cs.stanford.edu> wrote:
> On 11/11/05 2:45 AM, "Danny Ayers" <danny.ayers at gmail.com> wrote:

> > At this point in time I think it would be a very good idea to mandate
> > profiles for all microformats, so we can stop scraping and start
> > parsing. I'd suggest following RFC 2119's "SHOULD".

Sorry, on re-reading, I realised that wasn't what I actually meant to
say...which is that I think it would be a very good idea to mandate
the inclusion of a profile URI in all microformat documents. If
they're provided in the relevant spec, that's plenty for
disambiguation purposes (though obviously having something meaningful
at the URI would be a huge plus).

> While I obviously agree with the goal of having profiles for all
> microformats, I don't think they are necessary for us to continue making
> progress in the short-term.

Agreed.

> That being said, I personally am working on trying to both write down
> missing/incomplete profiles, and publish them at permanent URLs.  I hope to
> have some good news along that front in within the next few weeks.  Stay
> tuned.

Good man!

Maybe this is a good point to make a request that the profile docs
contain the necessary info for GRDDLing. I can't see any cost from the
microformats point of view (beyond a few extra bytes) but the benefit
is that it will put the profile docs *and any instance documents which
reference those profiles* squarely on the Semantic Web.

I believe the most direct way (from the end-processor's point of view)
is the way DanC's done it in XFN-workalike [1]:

<head profile="http://www.w3.org/2003/g/data-view">
  <title>XFN Work-Alike (GRDDL test)</title>
  <link rel="transformation"
	href="http://www.w3.org/2003/12/rdf-in-xhtml-xslts/grokXMDP.xsl" />
  <link rel="transformation"
	href="http://www.w3.org/2003/g/glean-profile" />
</head>
href="http://www.w3.org/2003/12/rdf-in-xhtml-xslts/grokXFN.xsl"
rel="profileTransformation">grokXFN.xsl</a>.</p>

This is thorough - the profile URI (...data-view) defines the
rel="transformation" link type, from that grokXMDP.xsl provides an
RDF(S) interpretation of the profile doc itself,  ...glean-profile is
used to obtain the transformation that should be applied to docs that
use this profile.

Dan's already got some XSLT for XMDP itself, XFN (above) and
hCalendar[2], I'll be happy to fill in any other blanks as needed.

Cheers,
Danny.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2003/g/td/xfn-workalike
[2] http://www.w3.org/2002/12/cal/glean-hcal.xsl