[uf-discuss] Microformat idea: store hours

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar drernie at opendarwin.org
Fri Nov 11 13:36:00 PST 2005

Hi Paul,

To be honest, I have a hard time seeing what (if any) advantage this
has over just using hCard and hCalendar.  The only question I have is
whether hCalendar is generic enough to say things like:
> Summer:
>   Monday to Friday, 8AM to 5 PM
>   Saturday 9 AM to 9 PM
>   Sunday closed
> Winter:
>  Open weekends except Thanksgiving and Christimas

That is, this does just sound to me like a calendar entry (after all
hCalendar allows location fields).  However, I can't think of any way
to represent a "non-event" like "closed", as an exception to an
existing event.

That's the same problem I see with chains vs. individuals.  I'd like
to be able to say, "All stores follows these hours, unless specified
otherwise."  It would be to have a 'class vs. instance' distinction/
inheritance, though I'm not sure how.

-- Ernie P.