[uf-discuss] Fiction books microformats

Chris Hibbert chris at commerce.net
Thu Nov 17 13:39:08 PST 2005

> Brian came up with an initial scheme that just might work: <span
> class="title-novel">War and Peace</span>. The class lets us style it
> for visual presentation readers are use to and it provides metadata for
> parsers.
>
> Does this make more sense?

That's sort of where I ended up, though I couldn't find canonical
labels.  In my most recent review [1], I wrote

    As with <span class="bookauthor">Sinclair Lewis</span>'s
    point is that what enables the abuse is unprotesting
    acceptance by the populace.

"title-novel" would work as well as "booktitle".  I don't see any other
proposals like "bookauthor" that distinguish the author of the review
from the author of the reviewed work.

I finally figured out how to add the styling I want, so I should be able
to follow a model like this now.

The beginning of the  review is annotated thusly:

    <abbr class="dtreviewed" title="20051108T2318-0700"></abbr>
    <a style="display: none;"
      href="http://www.rebelfirerock.com/"
      class="item url fn">RebelFire: Out of the Gray Zone</a>
   feels like a juvenile, in the sense of Heinlein's Juveniles ...

That's a lot of non-human-visible annotation.  The name of the work
appears in the review, along with the author, and the review's date is
visible above the review, but not in ISO format.  The URL of the book is
the post's title link, as well as being hidden in the microformatting.

Chris

[1]  http://pancrit.blogspot.com/2005/11/rebelfire-out-of-gray-zone.html
--
Chris Hibbert