[uf-discuss] invisible metadata

Andy Hume andyhume at thedredge.org
Sat Nov 19 05:42:12 PST 2005

Hi

>>> As said before, microformats encourage the use of *visible data*,
>>> not
>>> invisible (meta)data, and thus microformats agrees with the
>>> position that
>>> you should NOT use CSS to hide microformatted content.
>>
>> This is a concept I hadn't heard voiced before, and I guess I agree
>> in principle.
>
> Yes, this is a *very* important aspect of microformats.
>
>> However, microformats could be powerful tool for marking up invisible
>> meta data.
>
> The problem is that invisible metadata is nearly worthless.

It's not quite as simple as that, surely? Invisible metadata
shouldn't be worthless, although I do understand the arguments
against hiding it.

These XFN values are essentially invisible to humans when rendered by
a browser. Explain how this is different to hiding something with CSS.

Apologies if I'm going over old ground here.

> See previous
> writings on this re: meta keywords etc.

Very interesting, and I understand the parallels with meta keyword
values, etc. I *have* taken this on board, however my question above
still stands.

Cheers,

Andy.