[uf-discuss] invisible metadata

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 09:28:26 PST 2005

I think the difference in your XFN example and in the hCard example is
that you are making  the VALUES invisible. I know i'm guilty of this,
but when your data is out-of-site, it is out-of-mind. Things have a
better change of drifting away if you are not staring them in the face
each day.

If i have a falling out with someone and want to remove them as a
'friend', with the XFN example their name is VISUALLY on my page, with
hidden data that i do not see each day, i am more apt to forget about
it.

The VISIBLE data we are refering to are the VALUES.(i'll probably
catch some heat for that last comment, so i'll mention that i am fully
aware that our ABBR encoding sort of contradicts what i just said, but
it is a representation of the Value, so it is still visible) In the
XFN example that would be "Mr Bloggs"

-brian

On 11/19/05, Andy Hume <andyhume at thedredge.org> wrote:
> Hi

> >> This is a concept I hadn't heard voiced before, and I guess I agree
> >> in principle.
> >
> > Yes, this is a *very* important aspect of microformats.
> >
> >> However, microformats could be powerful tool for marking up invisible
> >> meta data.
> >
> > The problem is that invisible metadata is nearly worthless.
>
> It's not quite as simple as that, surely? Invisible metadata
> shouldn't be worthless, although I do understand the arguments
> against hiding it.

> These XFN values are essentially invisible to humans when rendered by
> a browser. Explain how this is different to hiding something with CSS.
>
> Apologies if I'm going over old ground here.
>
> > See previous
> > writings on this re: meta keywords etc.
>
> Very interesting, and I understand the parallels with meta keyword
> values, etc. I *have* taken this on board, however my question above
> still stands.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Andy.

brian suda