[uf-discuss] format for identifiers?

David Osolkowski qidydl at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 11:09:22 PST 2005

I think the question might have been misread.  I understood the question to
be, "is there or should there be a microformat for indicating that something
IS an identifier", as opposed to "is there or should there be a microformat
FOR identifiers".  E.g. given the string "urn:isbn:<whatever>", indicating
that that string represents an identifier.

I would suggest that the point of the identifier is that it represents some
resource, and merely marking up a string as being an identifier doesn't
accomplish much without being able to dereference it and obtain the resource
it identifies.  Saying "urn:isbn:<whatever>" is an identifier doesn't do
much good; the point is that given that identifier, I can tell that it's
talking about a book and I can go obtain information about that book.  In
which case, a href="" comes to mind.  I think there's room for some debate
here.

- David