[uf-discuss] format for identifiers?

C. Hudley chudley at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 11:20:43 PST 2005

On 11/23/05, Tantek Çelik <tantek at cs.stanford.edu> wrote:
> Hello C. Hudley, welcome to the list!

Thanks. :)

> Yes, this is a solved problem.
>
> See http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3986.txt
>
> AKA Uniform Resource Identifier (URI).

Indeed!  But, afaict, URIs as specified in HTML are primarily
(solely?) attribute values, and not human-readable, and lack defined
brief, descriptive class names.  How do you find all the human-visible
pieces of an HTML document that are intended to be identifiers (URIs
or otherwise) for objects represented on that page?  And, how do you
indicate, for, say, a flickr photo, that "this value here that I'm
showing the user is the id for this particular photo"?
You could pull all the attribute values for all the
elements/attributes for which the DTD states the attribute value is
%URI;, but how do you know which is supposed to be *the* id for any
one item?  And if there are multiple references to that item on the
page, @id doesn't work.  Etc.

If these are dumb questions, clue me in and I'll be quiet. :)

--
C. Hudley
We Know The Truth, Inc.