[uf-discuss] format for identifiers?

Danny Ayers danny.ayers at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 09:56:35 PST 2005

On 11/28/05, C. Hudley <chudley at gmail.com> wrote:

> In any case, unless I'm misunderstanding something, it seems
> inconsistent to say that "URIs solve this need for marking up
> identifiers so there's no need for any more work here"

I'm afraid I'm still confused as to what you're suggesting...

So...we do have a format for identifiers, the URI. Could you please
provide an example or two of what a microformat might provide on top
of that. Is the idea a human-readable *label* for the identifier, its
type or scheme or what?

As an aside I'd suggest that on the Web, URIs should be strongly
preferred as identifiers over any other. One thing that should help
this is the info: URI scheme, current going through the IETF process.
It offers an easy way of bridging to many off-the-web id schemes.

ietf draft -
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-vandesompel-info-uri-04.txt

bit of intro -
http://dannyayers.com/archives/2005/11/04/info/