communications log, "tel" microformat? (was Re: [uf-discuss] Paving the cowpaths?)

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Thu Nov 24 10:25:36 PST 2005

Simon, welcome to the list!

A quick re-use thought on your question:

Is a communication log simply a special case of a web log?

Perhaps consider using hAtom for the top level structure (list of dated
items).

In addition, you *may* have just pointed out that there is a need for an
elemental "tel" microformat which we could create in the same way that we
extracted "geo" and "adr" microformats from hCard.

 http://microformats.org/wiki/geo
 http://microformats.org/wiki/adr

I'm curious, do people think there are sufficient examples of "naked" phone
numbers on the web (outside of contact information for a specific person or
organization) to justify the creation of an elemental "tel" microformat to
mark them up explicitly?

In the mean time, as Ryan King as pointed out, there is nothing stopping you
from simply marking up your phone calls using semantic class names, which
you could re-use from hCard, to note the phone number in particular, e.g.:

With that plus the hAtom structures, you may have enough for your
"communications log".

Hope that helps,

Tantek