[microformats-discuss] Re: Educationg Others

Mark Pilgrim pilgrim at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 22:59:25 PDT 2005

On 10/3/05, Scott Anderson <portletdev at gmail.com> wrote:
> How long did it take Brian to write, test, and debug the XSL that
> reads the format?
>
> http://suda.co.uk/projects/X2V/xhtml2vcal.xsl

I would like to chime in here as the author of the second major hCard
implementation to say that I wrote the parser, the test cases, the
testing harness, and updated the documentation on the wiki in my spare
time over the course of a week.  I have a pregnant wife, a toddler
son, a book deal, and a full-time job, so my spare time is pretty
thin.

If I'd known that we were going to be playing "I can code faster than
anyone who can code better, and better than anyone who can code
faster," I would have kept better track of my time.  As it stands, we
have two independent interoperable implementations, a comprehensive
test suite, a reasonable draft of a spec-ish looking thing, and an
implementor's guide... in the course of a couple of weeks.  Pretty
soon, the amount of time spent bemoaning how difficult it is to
implement will exceed the actual time spent implementing it.

--
Cheers,
-Mark