[microformats-discuss] Re: Educationg Others

Danny Ayers danny.ayers at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 02:53:47 PDT 2005

On 10/5/05, Ryan King <ryan at technorati.com> wrote:

> Once again, as Rohit says, we've *proven* that microformats (at
> least, the ones developed so far) work in practice, we just need to
> show that they work in *theory*.
>
> The arguments in this thread are theoretical– in theory there's no
> difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

I've observed development around other knowledge representation
techniques, and in that space theoretical questions can very quickly
become practical problems. When XHTML is expressing explicit data
rather than being document markup, it's squarely in that territory.
We're not in Web 1.0 any more, Toto ;-)

So although the slogans may be helpful for adoption, I'd suggest
caution in assuming that things will work in the general case,
whatever success there has been with specific cases.

Having said that, working code is an extremely good starting point,
and personally I have no doubt that microformats have great potential.

Cheers,
Danny.

--

http://dannyayers.com