[microformats-discuss] Declaring the use of microformats with XHTML

Steven Livingstone connect at stevenR2.com
Thu Oct 6 09:00:08 PDT 2005

hmm - been a (relativelty new) passive observer until now.

I would say pro's and cons. As you say, identifying up front would be
useful - scan the header and index. Easy.

However (and please correct me if i am wrong), one intention of microformats
is trying to integrate people who generally don't want to learn & write
dublin core etc at the top of their web page, or use Xml/xhtml with
namespaces etc, to create sections of smart data. I think getting them as
far as the html would be good.

It may be that soon you get "inset microformat" options on the html editors,
wikis and blogs of the world which would simply ask you to enter information
into dialog boxes with no HTML needed. In this case it would be trivial for
it to add it to the header as you suggest. At this point however you may be
as well using Xml, namespaces and schema.

I guess i'm indifferent to the idea :) Put another way - i wouldn't expect
most people to manually do it, so there may need to be an alternative way of
mining the microformats for a given page.

steven :: http://stevenR2.com

Join my network at Linked In :
https://www.linkedin.com/profile?viewProfile=&key=2255447