[microformats-discuss] STRUM: Scripts, REST & Microformats

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar drernie at opendarwin.org
Fri Oct 7 14:36:57 PDT 2005

Hi all,

We've had a very interesting week here at Web 2.0.   Last night at
the Microformats BOF I introduced a new technology I call STRUM:

http://www.opendarwin.org/~drernie/C395201355/E20051006235324/index.html

.STRUM: SCRIPT-TUNNELING REST USING MICROFORMATS
> ".STRUM" is a way to easily do XHTML-RPC via REST URIs
> by providing a trivial mapping between scripting languages,
> XOXO lists, and XHTML forms/anchors.

http://www.opendarwin.org/~drernie/STRUM-20051005.html

I like to describe this as the thing Kevin has been working on for a
long time, only he didn't know what it was. :-) We've often discussed
how REST and Microformats share the same design principles.  STRUM is
basically adding a very small amount of additional convention to tie
the two together (and to scripts), providing an extremely lightweight
architecture for building web services -- in a shareable and reusable
way.

The presentation is still a bit rough, so I apologize for any
confusion; hopefully your questions will help me clarify my thinking
and presentation.  Special thanks to both Kevin Marks and Ryan King
for their help and encouragement (as well as Rohit, who inspired the
whole thing in the first place).

-- Ernie P.