[microformats-discuss] FYI: Boyd on Microformats and Structured Blogging

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Mon Oct 10 16:54:41 PDT 2005

Hi Craig,

On 10/10/05 4:26 PM, "Craig Ogg" <craig.ogg at gmail.com> wrote:

> In that same article, Stowe Boyd says,  "Turns out I just had a
> conceptual problem: I was thinking that dtend worked differently. If
> an event is intended to run on 15 Nov, without a tipulated hour of
> ending, then you should encode dtend as 16 Nov!)"
>
> If he is correct,

I believe this is the case.

> this seems to me to be a violation of the "human
> first, computers second" principle.

I'm not sure I understand how you came to that conclusion.  Could you
explain a little?

>  In fact, it appears that the
> example on the wiki:

>>  <a class="url" href="http://www.web2con.com/">
>>   <abbr class="dtstart" title="2005-10-05">October 5</abbr>-
>>   <abbr class="dtend" title="2005-10-07">7</abbr>,
>>  at the <span class="location">Argent Hotel, San Francisco, CA</span>
>>  </a>
>>
>>  which could be displayed as:
>>
>>  Web 2.0 Conference: October 5-7, at the Argent Hotel, San Francisco, CA
>
> Is wrong.  This would represent a conference that was October 5-6.
>
> Am I missing something or is there a disconnect here?

/me goes to check ietf-calsify archives on the matter...

Ah, if you read through the recent (just over a month old) thread starting
with:

<http://lists.osafoundation.org/pipermail/ietf-calsify/2005-September/000768
.html>

You will note that the DTEND is exclusive, and thus, no, you are not missing
something, there *is* a disconnect there and I made a mistake in the
example.

/me goes to fix the example and add a note explaining what is going on.

This message is short and to the point:

<http://lists.osafoundation.org/pipermail/ietf-calsify/2005-September/000769
.html>

Thanks again for pointing this out Craig, I think this may have caused some
amount of undo confusion.

Now to fix the hCalendar Creator to handle this correctly...

Thanks,

Tantek