[microformats-discuss] Video Pop-up Link Maker

Andreas Haugstrup solitude at solitude.dk
Fri Oct 14 03:30:47 PDT 2005

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 19:08:46 +0200, Joshua Kinberg <jkinberg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> All the other stuff would have to be optional, but I think should be
> available for the sake of conforming to other existing schemas, and
> for those who want to include metadata specific  to the video.

Ah, gotcha.

> IMHO, multiple relEnclosure links on the same page should be assumed
> to be different content unless they are intentionally grouped by some
> means. I guess it wouldn't matter what XHTML tag was used for
> grouping, it could be <div class="enclosure"> or <ul
> class="enclosure">, as long as the class name was decided upon.
> Multiple instances of a relEnclosure link within a class="enclosure"
> block could be considered intentionally grouped, and thus consitituing
> multiple instances of the same content -- analogous to <media:group>
> in the MRSS spec.

I'll agree with that.

> On the wiki for relEnclosure the question of multiple enclosures has
> been raised, and the possibility of using something like <link
> rel="alternate"> has been brought up:
> < http://microformats.org/wiki/rel-enclosure >

You already outline some problems with rel alternate (I snipped them out),
but rel="alternate" isn't suited regardless. "Alternate" is defined in the
HTML spec:

"Designates substitute versions for the document in which the link occurs."

In the case of enclosure links "alternate" is not suited, because the
media file is not a substitute version of the document in which the link
occurs - it is a substitute version of another link on the document in
which the link occurs.

The people who are making several versions of videos available right now
are already grouping using one element or another. Rocketboom.com uses
solution.

- Andreas