[microformats-discuss] RFC: Thoughts on Video and Audio Microformats

David Janes -- BlogMatrix davidjanes at blogmatrix.com
Tue Oct 18 03:07:23 PDT 2005

Charles Iliya Krempeaux wrote:
> Yes.  It got deprecated because no one used it.  But it doesn't mean
> that we couldn't use it.  (Being deprecated means that we SHOULD NOT
> use it.  Not that we MAY NOT use it.)   It could become un-deprecated
> if it gains usage.
>
> The "rel" and "rev"attributes on the anchor element -- the <a> tag --
> weren't in widepread usage until recently either.
>
> I think that using it in the way I outlined in my article would be a
> good use of it.  urn's imply semantics... which is great.  And using
> the urn attribute in this way is (as I understand it) inline with how
> urn are supposed to be used.

Hi Charles,

XHTML (based on HTML 4.01) compliance is considered a MUST [1] here in
the microformats community. "rel" and "rev" may fly (I haven't looked
too closely) but "urn" is toast [2].

My XHTML compliance checking is quite functionally based on [3].

Regards, etc...
David
http://www.blogmatrix.com

[1] upper-case MUST in the RFC sense, not the I'm yelling at you sense
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/links.html#edef-A
[3] http://validator.w3.org/