[microformats-discuss] Take 3 Re: Definition of "microformat" ?

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar drernie at opendarwin.org
Fri Sep 16 13:54:05 PDT 2005

Bob & Jake,

On Sep 16, 2005, at 1:29 PM, DuCharme, Bob (LNG-CHO) wrote:

> Jake Ham wrote:
>  > I still feel that there is a better way to describe them than an
> "ecosystem".
> I strongly agree,

Okay, since this seems to have struck a chord, I've pasted my
definition into the wiki (without 'ecosystem' :-), so others can
refine it:

http://microformats.org/wiki/Main_Page#Introduction
-----
One popular definition from our mailing list is "simple conventions
for embedding semantics in HTML to enable decentralized development."
More precisely, microformats can be defined as:

:simple conventions
:for embedding semantic markup
::for a specific problem domain
:in human-readable (X)HTML documents
::that normalize existing tag usage patterns
::using brief, descriptive class names
:to enable decentralized development
::of resources, tools, and services
-----