[microformats-discuss] Take 3 Re: Definition of "microformat" ?

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Fri Sep 16 19:14:31 PDT 2005

On 9/16/05 1:54 PM, "Dr. Ernie Prabhakar" <drernie at opendarwin.org> wrote:

> http://microformats.org/wiki/Main_Page#Introduction
> -----
> One popular definition from our mailing list is "simple conventions
> for embedding semantics in HTML to enable decentralized development."
> More precisely, microformats can be defined as:
>
> :simple conventions
> :for embedding semantic markup
> ::for a specific problem domain
> :in human-readable (X)HTML documents
> ::that normalize existing tag usage patterns
> ::using brief, descriptive class names
> :to enable decentralized development
> ::of resources, tools, and services
> -----

This is quite good.

The only thing I would change is the scope of "in human-readable (X)HTML
documents".

Microformats are *built* from XHTML yes, and they can thus be *very easily*
embedded *and* styled/presented in (X)HTML documents,

AND

since XHTML is XML, microformats can also be embedded in RSS, Atom, and
"plain" XML as well.

This is a very important difference, as microformats are essentially better
adapted to more publishing "environments/niches" (to continue with the
biological analogy) than other format "philosophies".

This is by design.

Thanks,

Tantek