[microformats-discuss] Take 3 Re: Definition of "microformat" ?

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar drernie at opendarwin.org
Fri Sep 16 20:01:07 PDT 2005

Hi Tantek,

On Sep 16, 2005, at 7:14 PM, Tantek Çelik wrote:

> On 9/16/05 1:54 PM, "Dr. Ernie Prabhakar" <drernie at opendarwin.org>
> wrote:
>
>> http://microformats.org/wiki/Main_Page#Introduction
> This is quite good.

Thanks!

> The only thing I would change is the scope of "in human-readable (X)
> HTML
> documents".
>
> Microformats are *built* from XHTML yes, and they can thus be *very
> easily*
> embedded *and* styled/presented in (X)HTML documents,
>
> AND
>
> since XHTML is XML, microformats can also be embedded in RSS, Atom,
> and
> "plain" XML as well.

Okay, fair enough.  I changed the wiki page to;

:in human-readable (X)HTML/XML documents

I was tempted to do (X)[HT]ML, or {X,}{,HT}ML but that seemed overly
silly, and _I_ couldn't even parse it...

> This is a very important difference, as microformats are
> essentially better
> adapted to more publishing "environments/niches" (to continue with the
> biological analogy) than other format "philosophies".
>
> This is by design.

Okay, but -- since you brought it up -- let me ask you _your_
favorite question,:  Is anyone actually *doing* that -- putting
microformats into XML?  Or you just solving a theoretical problem? ;-)

-- Ernie P.