[uf-discuss] Plazes & Microformats

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Wed Apr 19 13:45:46 PDT 2006

On Apr 19, 2006, at 12:58 PM, Scott Reynen wrote:
> On Apr 19, 2006, at 2:23 PM, Ryan King wrote:
>
>> That's right. The reason you can't collapse a 'vcard' class name
>> and its 'fn' class name is that it makes putting a 'vcard' class
>> name inside another one becomes ambiguous.
>
> I've seen this explanation a few times, and I've never personally
> found the separation of vcard and fn to be a problem, but I don't
> understand the explanation.

An illustration, from earlier in this thread:

        <!-- the order is actually irrelevant here class="vcard
agent" is synonymous -->

Which hcard does the 'agent' belong to?

Now to make it worse:

How about the second fn?

We can't collapse these properties, because it makes it impossible
for us to unambiguously nest microformats.

>   Couldn't the spec prevent such ambiguity simply by stating that
> vcard and fn in the same node should be treated by parsers as an fn
> node within the vcard node.

I don't think its wise for us to special-case fn. It will only cause
more confusion. Even if you allow this special case, my second
example above is ambiguous.

-ryan