collapsing root class names with property names (was Re: [uf-discuss] Plazes & Microformats)

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Wed Apr 19 14:17:58 PDT 2006

On 4/19/06 1:57 PM, "David Janes -- BlogMatrix" <davidjanes at blogmatrix.com>
wrote:

> Ryan King wrote:
>
>>> This is great place to continue this debate. The issue (as I
>>> understand it) is that this optimization doesn't allow nested vcards:

>> This would still be a problem if it were nested inside another hcard.
>> (remember, @class is an order-insignificant list.)
>
> Well, what's the rule for associating a "fn" with a "vcard"? We're just
> asking that it be changed from (as you're saying):
>
> -- "fn" belongs to the "vcard" that contains it
>
> to (as we're asking):
>
> -- "fn" belongs to the "vcard" that contains it or is at the same level.
>
> This won't break any existing vcards, since no-one is doing the
> fn-optimization yet.

>From a data format design perspective, breaking strict containment will
result in problems down the road, the most obvious example of which is the
nesting that Ryan showed only a few examples thereof.

David Janes, unless you see a *really big advantage* to pursuing this
proposal, I really think we should drop it, and spend our time on more
productive pursuits (IMHO there's already been too much list traffic about
something that will benefit microformats very little).

Things are working as-is, the risk of change is high, and the reward is low.
Unless you have a serious objection, I'd like to consider this proposal
rejected and move on.

Thanks,

Tantek