life, death and address books (was Re: [uf-discuss] hCard and Life Dates?)

Atamido paul at
Wed Apr 19 14:29:26 PDT 2006

Tantek Çelik wrote:
> 'dday' struck me as wrong for this (this is a new term for the date of
> someone's death AFAIK, and collides with an existing well-known meaning for
> "DDay" which there is no reason to collide with AFAIK).

In the spirit of microformats, it seems that 'dday' would be wrong for
the simple fact that 'dtend' already exists and has a defined use
fitting exactly what is being looked for.  Although if it were being
used, I would assume you would need to use a 'vevent' to indicate that
this is the date of death, and not the end date of employment, or the
date that a person stopped working at a place or phone number.

> I suppose the truly morbid could reuse vCard's "adr" and/or "geo" to keep
> track of burial locations of the dead.

The first thing that popped into my head was genealogy work, where this
would actually make a lot of sense.  ('location' in a death 'vevent'
would presumably indicate the place of death).

> Still this just doesn't seem right to me.

Not that I'm proposing that hCard be used for genealogy, but if a
genealogy format were made it would likely pull all relevant classes
from hCard.  In fact, it would probably just be an hCard with a few
missing/additional classes.