"uid" microformats? (was Re: [uf-discuss] ISBN mark-up)

Xiaoming Liu liu_x at lanl.gov
Mon Apr 24 20:18:44 PDT 2006

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006, Etan Wexler wrote:

> Tantek Çelik wrote to the Microformats Discuss mailing list on 2006-04-24 in
> Re: "uid" microformats? (was Re: [uf-discuss] ISBN mark-up)
> (<mid:C0725C5A.6D364%25tantek at cs.stanford.edu>,
> <http://microformats.org/discuss/mail/microformats-discuss/2006-April/003839.html>):
>
>> hCard normatively references vCard for semantics, which says:
>>
>> 3.6.7 UID Type Definition
>>
>>    Type purpose: To specify a value that represents a globally unique
>>    identifier corresponding to the individual or resource associated
>>    with the vCard.

Hi, I am joining the discussion with background of library system.

I don't think the definition of UID completely matches URI. The "globally
unique identifier" has a flavour of UUID, as the example in
vcard. UID:19950401-080045-40000F192713-0052

I guess one cannot be certain how "globally unique" is associated with
URI, how about http://localhost or file:///etc/hosts?

So I would advocate  using URI instead of UID, URI is unambiguous, and
it would encourage choosing identifiers from established URI schema. So
people will use "urn:isbn:0950788120", instead of "isbn:0950788120" or
"asin:0950788120".

regards,
xiaoming