"uid" microformats? (was Re: [uf-discuss] ISBN mark-up)

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Tue Apr 25 01:33:43 PDT 2006

On Apr 24, 2006, at 8:18 PM, Xiaoming Liu wrote:
> Hi, I am joining the discussion with background of library system.
> I don't think the definition of UID completely matches URI. The
> "globally unique identifier" has a flavour of UUID, as the example
> in vcard. UID:19950401-080045-40000F192713-0052
> I guess one cannot be certain how "globally unique" is associated
> with URI, how about http://localhost or file:///etc/hosts?

URLs, if used propertly can be sufficient for "globalby unique
identifier[s]." Sure, you can mess things up by using a non-routeable
address or scheme, but its pretty easy to get it right, too.

> So I would advocate  using URI instead of UID, URI is unambiguous,
> and it would encourage choosing identifiers from established URI
> schema. So people will use "urn:isbn:0950788120", instead of "isbn:
> 0950788120" or "asin:0950788120".

Adding a URI property to any microformat would mean an expansion to
the vocabulary, when we already have several very close terms. I'd be
wary of doing that.