[uf-discuss] Microformats vs XML

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 19:23:07 PDT 2006

I would make sure the mention the community process involved with
developing microformats and how that process arrives at its
recommendations and best practices.

I'm not sure how common standards are developed in XML communities,
but I imagine it's much more commercially driven -- making sure that
the 20% is hit along with the 80% -- whereas we only focus on the
latter -- opting for generalized use and the creation of reusable
building blocks.

Just a thought at least. Oh, and besides browser support, you also
have a ton of editors that will output and consume XHTML natively --
with the benefit of a viewport that most people who use the internet
are fairly familiar with. ;)

Chris