[uf-discuss] Microformats vs XML

Steven Livingstone connect at stevenR2.com
Thu Apr 27 04:16:11 PDT 2006

Yes - I was tempted to add such a comment, but don't know Microformats well
enough yet. I'm certainly not knocking standards or modularization, but
practical experience has show to me that simple can also be effective.

RSS (as an example) has remained very simple ever since it was created and
XML-RPC has also remained so along with many others. Sure, there have been
additions on top of RSS, but fundamentally it is easy to get your head
around what is required to get started. Hence they have remained popular
even longer than 5 years after being created.

In contrast if you consider RDF, OWL etc - they are not particularly easy to
get running with. There is quite a learning curve, but having used them for
a number of years I appreciate what they can do and why the specs make them
so powerful. However, there have also been a number of efforts that have
disappeared off the map because of over engineering (over-modularization).

The first paragraph of Uche Ogbuji's IBM article sums it up for me:
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-stand2.html

It's certainly nothing specific to Microformats, but more a web 2.0 view on
things where simplicity is being particularly effective.

Regards,
Steven
http://stevenR2.com