[uf-discuss] Microformats vs XML

Karl Dubost karl at w3.org
Thu Apr 27 04:25:55 PDT 2006

Off List because off topic

Le 06-04-27 à 20:16, Steven Livingstone a écrit :
> RSS (as an example) has remained very simple ever since it was
> created and
> XML-RPC has also remained so along with many others. Sure, there
> have been

and

> In contrast if you consider RDF, OWL etc - they are not
> particularly easy to
> get running with. There is quite a learning curve, but having used
> them for

Unrelated. You do not compare the same thing at all :)

You could compare an

	application of RDF
	Ex: FOAF, SKOS, RSS 1.0
with
	an application of XML
	Ex: XHTML, RSS 2.0, Atom

> The first paragraph of Uche Ogbuji's IBM article sums it up for me:
> http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-stand2.html

Put this first paragraph in the SGML community, and you will see the
answers. Everything is a question of context.

> It's certainly nothing specific to Microformats, but more a web 2.0
> view on
> things where simplicity is being particularly effective.

Web 2.0 is a marketing which became a social phenomenon. Not a
technology.
Microformats are good for particular things. I didn't say the
opposite. They have their issues and their benefits depending on the
context.

   QA Weblog - http://www.w3.org/QA/
      *** Be Strict To Be Cool ***