[uf-discuss] relatinal modeling in microformats?

Bruce D'Arcus bdarcus.lists at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 08:31:26 PDT 2006

On 8/2/06, Scott Reynen <scott at randomchaos.com> wrote:
> On Aug 2, 2006, at 9:26 AM, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
>
> > I didn't really have any particular expectations associated with the
> > question, but if it's not modelled, then of course those possibilities
> > are more limited. Not all even data ought to be specific to calendar
> > applications.
>
> Sure, but we're not just modeling for the sake of modeling here.  If
> we don't have some specific problem that needs better data modeling,
> it's not worth the additional complication for authors.

I understand your point, but I'm hardly discussing "modeling for the
sake of modeling." Rather, I'm trying to look out ahead just a bit,
and mostly to see how the general question relates to the specific
issues of hCite.

I know I'm not the only one who is worried that microformats will very
soon hit a scalability wall, and I think this may well be the primary
problem.

As a simple example, the way some people have been arguing could
easily result in hCite properties like "conference-title" and
"conference-date" (because conference presentations are common to
citations). We then have in effect a conflict with hCal, don't we? Two
different ways to describe events?

Bruce