[uf-discuss] hCard and vCard

Ben Buchanan wzqtptl02 at sneakemail.com
Thu Aug 3 05:07:45 PDT 2006

> For example (and I've done this myself on numerous
> occasions) "come and hear <span class="vcard"><span class="fn">Ben
> Barren</span></span> speak about..." is really not contact
> information, but this is a very commonly cited example of how one
> might use hCard (for example, for conference speakers).

Hmm, well the resulting vCard wouldn't actually be especially useful
:) If it at least associated the person with a URL it would create a
useful chunk of information. But I guess it does change it from "bit
of text" to "someone's name" so.... yeah. But it is awfully borderline
:)

> I think many would argue for maintaining the 1:1 relationship between
> the fields of vCard and the properties of hCard. It's what happens to
> the semantics of vCard that is at issue.

So basically the uf wouldn't change, we'd just change the description
to allow usages other than strictly "a person's contact details"?
Seems fine.

> "However, hCard maintains a 1:1 relationship with the fields of vCard"
> Does this seem to capture current thinking and practice with hCard?

I wouldn't really want to see hCard extended beyond the fields of
vCard, even though vCard has some crappy limitations. The 1:1 means
hCards can feed data to the surprisingly large number of devices (and
software) that can use vCards... which was a major selling point
getting into our corporate directory :)

But, I think it's fair enough to say that entities and places can have
a vCard - it doesn't just have to be a person.

-Ben

--
--- <http://www.200ok.com.au/>
--- The future has arrived; it's just not