[uf-discuss] WordPress and hAtom: Just for themers?

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Tue Aug 8 13:27:39 PDT 2006

On Aug 8, 2006, at 3:18 PM, Andy Skelton wrote:

> On 8/8/06, Chris Messina <chris.messina at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is it a pipedream to think that hAtom, widely deployed, can be a
>> sister of RSS and ATOM? Or will it only be a refuge for geeks?
>
> Dunno. One can hope that all parallel-publishing feeds die out.
> Hope hard.

I was just noticing that this is the only hatom FAQ:

http://microformats.org/wiki/hatom-faq

"1.  Is hAtom intended to replace RSS or Atom?

* No, hAtom is not intended to replace RSS or Atom. While most
weblogs and other websites do provide their latest articles in a
structured fashion (via RSS and/or Atom feeds), most of them do not
provide their older articles in a structured way. This is one of the
problems that hAtom can solve."

That prompts me to ask a follow up question: why isn't hAtom intended
to replace RSS or Atom?  Is it the increased bandwidth required for
all the extraneous information in a given XHTML document, or the loss
of semantics from Atom to hAtom, or is there something more
fundamental I'm missing?

Peace,
Scott